• Caitlin Harnett & ?

0 voters

1 Like

Hurt Johnny Cash or NIN?

• Nine Inch Nails
  • Johnny Cash

0 voters

3 Likes

Blues you can’t lose? (A somewhat curated selection - damned straight there are more versions out there.)

• Hambone Willie Newbern
  • Muddy Waters
  • Cream
  • Jeff Beck (w/ Imogen Heap)
  • The Strypes
  • Cyndi Lauper
  • Johnny Winter
  • Tedeschi Trucks Band

0 voters

• Townes Van Zandt
  • The Be Good Tanyas

0 voters

All Along The Watchtower

Neither of those.

I’m going by the title of the topic: who sang it better. Santana has the better guitar (because it’s Santana), but the singing is better in the Fleetwood Mac version.

2 Likes

SHAMELESS BLOG-POST PLUG - plus: Added “Who WORE it better?”

• Robert Preston. I like a looser interpretation of that song.
  • Julie Andrews. Far better range and somewhat more graceful.

0 voters

1 Like

dang, i keep thinking of more. always loved this dang song. the Indigo Girls do it great live, but i couldn’t find one that wasn’t some handheld phone video, so sorry.

• Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler - Romeo & Juliette
  • Indigo Girls - Romeo & Juliette

0 voters

OK, I’ll give in. How do we add these polls/surveys to a post?

1 Like

when you are replying, under the little gear thing in the formatting pane, there’s a “build poll” menu item. it is remarkably addicting.

4 Likes

• Leonard Cohen
  • Jeff Buckley
  • Bob Dylan
  • k.d.lang
  • Straight No Chaser
  • Pentatonix

0 voters

I had to include multiple choice for this one, because I love so many versions of this song.

4 Likes

• Angela Lansbury
  • Beth Fowler
  • Emma Thompson

0 voters

Voted for kd, although the John Cale version is my absolute favourite.

4 Likes

Having just listened to it, it’s certainly better than the Bob Dylan version.

1 Like

that one is so HARD. but as much as i love leonard’s original, k.d. lang really makes it soar for me. i had never heard the jeff buckley version before, and all i can say is DAMN, that’s good.

4 Likes

As I said. I allowed multiple choice for that one for a good reason.

5 Likes

Nah, I still prefer Hendrix - better voice, more appropriate arrangement (although this one is interesting).

Well, Peter Green. 'Nuff said.

I’m a little conflicted on that one, because arrangements do matter to set the voice properly, and, in the recording, Santana’s works better. However, a live version that gave Green some room to work, possibly after Danny Kirwan joined on, would be something to hear. (I gather the band did allow that tune to spin out some.)

4 Likes

There’s another version that really should have been included (the songwriter):

2 Likes

You should hear her do it live.

2 Likes

Fair enough; I am always going to be biased in favour of the version that has the most emotional resonance for me, and that song, having basically formed the climax of the third season of BSG (if not the whole series), will always be linked to the emotions I experienced watching that episode.

1 Like