Why don't we have a food thread? We should have a food thread

This doesn’t look like much, not so photogenic, but extremely delicious.

Lima beans, dried Shitake mushrooms, shallots, onions, beef base, and a mess of herbs and spices.

I dont feel well but I’m glad I pushed through yesterday’s malaise to make it. I love a creamy broad bean served with sourdough toast.

6 Likes

i’ve made this several times, and every time i make it, i am blown away by how freaking good it is. i’m only halfway done with eating the first of two jars in this batch, and i’m already worried about running out too quickly, lol. (“after this half a jar, we’ll only have one jar left!”)

4 Likes
5 Likes

I was in the mood for chocolate cake. I’ve made a bunch over the years, but the Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate recipe is hands down the best. It is so moist. And it uses pantry items most people have on hand. I like to use coffee instead of hot water.

https://www.hersheyland.com/recipes/hersheys-perfectly-chocolate-chocolate-cake.html

Their recommended frosting is very good (linked within that recipe).

For me, as is, the frosting comes out a bit fudgy. Add more milk to thin and the secret to buttercream is to whip at LEAST 4 minutes, Once it has enough milk and is whipped, it makes a great, spreadable chocolate buttercream.

4 Likes

This may be more of a random grin than food thread, but…

4 Likes

Just water?

Not “Sparkling Water of Life?”

1 Like

or even “Reclaimed Stillsuit Water”? haha

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

This article… man, if it would have mentioned WHICH food did this, that would have been really good.

I do home canning, and while botulism is indeed a big concern, it depends heavily on which food. Tomatoes and jam are a far cry from green beans or corn, and then meat is a whole 'nother thing, when it comes to safe home canning. I wish the article had mentioned any of that.

When a friend asked me for advice about canning, I had to talk her down from anything but jam/jelly on the first go. That’s actually pretty easy to do safely, because of all the acid.

My mom canned some “spaghetti sauce” and was pretty disappointed when I told her that including meat made it potentially dangerous, since she did a water bath and not a pressure one. Better disappointment than botulism, though!

I feel like there are other home canners here, are there?

7 Likes

i’ve been known to can here and there – but i’ve only done hot water bath canning. I do have a pressure cooker, but i’ve never tried any canning with it. i tend to do small batch stuff, mostly.

4 Likes

As a gift to my future self, I cooked down 10 pounds of onions (half Vidalia, half yellow) into two cups of pure flavor goo. It took 3 hours, but I’m listening to a good book.

6 Likes

My family’s away on vacation and I got a craving for spaghetti and garlic bread. So last night, I packed a bag in my pocket (one of those plastic bags that all us adults seem to hoard) and walked off into the sunset to the grocery store to buy the stuff. It was a perfect beautiful spring evening.

Got the stuff at the store and checked out (where, instead of “Paper or plastic?” they now ask “Do you need a bag?”, hence the bag I had in my pocket ready to go.) and walked back home out of the sunset. So excited for this delicious meal I was about to cook.

I then managed to produce perhaps the worst-ever spaghetti and garlic bread. The spaghetti was chewy and the bread was half-burnt.

But I had a really nice walk and watched a funny movie while eating so it wasn’t all bad. And I learned that this mini-oven cooks way faster than expected and also that apparently the sauce is supposed to be watered down if you cook the spaghetti in it.

8 Likes

Friend, cook the spaghetti in water, drain, add some olive oil, have the sauce heated in a separate pot, then join the sauce to spaghetti. Good luck.

6 Likes

And reserve some of the cooking water in case you need to thin down the tomato sauce a bit.

6 Likes

I saw something saying “that’s the way white people cook pasta” which opened me up to the idea that there’s another way. So I discovered ‘one pot pasta’, which apparently is good if you do it right. But I most certainly did not do it right.

At least I was only experimenting on myself, and didn’t inflict that on others.

4 Likes

that works better for baked pasta like lasagna and baked ziti, where it removes a step by not boiling pasta before baking. But one pot for not-baked pasta does not save time or come out better in some way.

4 Likes

Yum! That looks amazing.
I’ve been making a modified version of this stuff since I saw the recipe 6 years ago:

I make a big batch and keep extra jars in the fridge. The garlic is “smearable” which is amazing for cheese plates or sandwiches. I double the garlic, blend/crush some of the ingredients for more of a spread consistency, and reduce the oil slightly.
Sohla’s recipe is giving me inspiration to swap out the pepper flakes for actual peppers, and maybe add some crisp…thanks!

3 Likes

funny – i just made another batch of this about a month ago, and gave a jar of the precious results to some friends. i haven’t heard back from them if they’ve tried it or not, but i sure hope they like it, otherwise we’ll be sad we gave some away, haha.

speaking of spicy things, i made this amazing salsa this past weekend:

https://www.thekitchn.com/salsa-negra-recipe-23305770

i couldn’t find the chiles mecos locally – they are on order and should be here this week – but i was so excited to try this recipe this weekend that i bought some chiles moritas, which are related and were something i could get at my local grocery.

oh. my. LORD.

this salsa is thick and smoky and delicious with just the moritas, and was easier than i thought it was going to be. two heads of garlic sounds like a lot, but slowly simmering them in the hot oil, off the heat, really tempers them into the buttery, tamed garlic flavor you mention in your chile crisp, and then once it’s all pureed with the toasted walnuts, you barely notice the garlic is there at all. it’s just an interesting blend of flavors. i can’t wait to try it with the correct peppers, which should make it spicier and smokier.

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean! I like having the extras around as a little last minute gift, but responses are so mixed. One friend called me the very next morning to tell me they were eating it with roasted cauliflower and were blown away and have mentioned it over the years.
A cousin, on the other hand, never mentioned anything until a couple years later when he was mad that I hadn’t brought more of that “amazing hot oil” for his birthday present. But until that point, I figured I’d just thrown away a precious jar of my life giving elixir :joy:

2 Likes