Random Silly Grins

If you zoom in, you can see the needle points and the second needle. It’s mostly hidden under his puffy jacket.

3 Likes

Ah. So it is.

From the picture it looked like one long hooked needle, not two long pointed needles.

1 Like

But it got me to look up “Tunisian crochet”, which has improved my knowledge and thus my day!

5 Likes

Tunisian crochet uses a longer hook, so it can be used on longer stitch chains than traditional crochet. It’s also a hook and not a needle, so each row can be a chain of stitches instead of just a single stitch like in knitting. The result looks like a hybrid between knitting and crocheting. It’s very good for Afghan blankets.

3 Likes

13c and 14c Spanish knitting needless often had hooks on the ends – supposedly it helped with lace-making.

More recently, the idea had been resurrected in the Knook. I don’t know anyone who’s tried them.

http://www.knitpro.eu/Materialwise-size-Details.asp?id=131&Language=

Should this be split into another thread? (Pun not intended)

2 Likes

There’s a general creative thread here: Whatchya Workin’ On, O Creatives?

Or do you think there is enough interest to make one specifically about thread/cloth/material arts?

Hm. This would be more like Whatcha Working with. Metal or plastic? Electric or unpowered? Brand A or Brand B?

Depends on the interest, of course.

2 Likes

Hmmm… my choices are: plastic, electric, knitting.

There’s gotta be something I can do with that.

2 Likes

I just want to say that this is a whole lot less funny after that Google demonstration.

2 Likes

For the Oldz among us who are also good with making stuff from string, Tunisian crochet was called Afghan crochet until about, oh, 9/11/2001.

At least in the US, international mileage may be kilometers.

6 Likes
18 Likes

Wooden’t you know, they found the perfect job for him at the branch office.

18 Likes

You’re going out on a limb here. But I’ll leaf you alone.

15 Likes

What’s with the lines under “am”? Why did it think “am” is misspelled?

8 Likes

It’s something the software does, according to the teacher.

I hope the student got an A for acorn effort…

9 Likes

I would mark a few points off for not playing around with punctuation some more. Groot is a bit more expressive than just the three words convey. :wink:

From other reports I’ve seen, the student got a 95/100.

7 Likes
9 Likes

The additional clarification slide at the end killed it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is the definition of contagious laughter

5 Likes

I already have several of James Gleick’s books, but he just became my hero:

7 Likes