Redoubtable Downtown Space Abbey - Public Ledger

St-Patrick-Hartbrooke finishes his letter, and signs it with his usual overstated flair. He takes out the pocketwatch he intends to give as a gift, wearing white microfibre gloves to prevent it from being tarnished in any way, and compares it to his own. The gift is newer, of course, not being an heirloom (yet), and the coat of arms on its cover is that of Mr. Farnsworth, not the crosses and harts of St-Patrick-Hartbrooke.

Opening the cover, he can see the slight differences in the mechanisms behind the glass, improvements made in the half-century since his own watch was produced. With a competent watchmaker to maintain it, both will go on ticking for centuries, but the newer SWIM chronometer should need less maintenance than his own.

One day, Aaaakzee knows, the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke watch will die its final death, and whichever heir to the legacy will commission a new one with the latest state-of-the-art enhancements, but, for now, the watch’s persistence through time is a more auspicious symbol to carry around, rather than the Farnsworth watch’s novelty. A tie to the past, to its traditions and values, rather than a tie to the present, ephemeral as any given moment may be.

With one final glance at the inside of the cover, he spots the barely-visible etching of the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke heraldry on each; only a very small fraction of the watches produced by his family have this etching, and any of his descendants, if presented with such a watch, will feel obligated — as the gift-giver himself would — to give the bearer a moment of his time, no questions asked.

The letter he has written to accompany the watch states none of this outright, but obliquely hints at all of it. Hopefully, the message gets through that a favour may be begged by any of of the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke line by presenting the watch, but he is not going to write it explicitly; it is simply not in his nature to.

He places the watch back in its protective box, and sends it off for delivery. There is something more important to take care of, now: to secure the St-Patrick-Hartbrooke family line, so that there is such a person to respond to such favours when demanded in the future. He has every reason to believe that Miss Penumbra is amenable to a proposal, but he still feels the pressure of nerves and doubts.

The owner of a seaside resort has, hearing the story of the duel, offered the use of the resort for a wedding (for a fee, of course), making use of the Space Griffin’s notoriety in order to boost his own. It seems a fair enough trade, but confirming such a thing before the bride has accepted the proposal would be inviting the deepest humiliation. Which is to say, he has a question to ask, and a deadline within which to ask it.

Taking a sip of schnapps to steady his nerves, he dons a tasteful, light jacket and steps out into the summer heat to present his proposal.

Propose Madeline Penumbra
Venue 3
Gift @Wisconsin_Platt 50 A SWIM Pocketwatch, emblazoned prominently with Mr. Farnsworth's heraldry
11 Likes

You may rest easy, my dear Ms. Farnsworth. I will ensure my ward is not tardy. Though I don’t think he’ll require too much encouragement. He seems remarkably (understandably) enthusiastic, whenever I can track him down. Indeed, you seem to have inspired him to take up singing. I keep hearing him singing this during his unguarded moments:

10 Likes

Yes my love, I too do totally globbing feel it! You’ve made me the happiest human/possibly a lobster sentient on Weatherby!

We shall be two Badasses together, and don’t you worry about the inconsequential setback of your fortunes, I’m sure the Cmdr can help us get established, and even if not, why, perhaps I could set up some little concern on the side!

So to your proposal all I can answer is that for me there is only thee, thee, Thee!

9 Likes

Stepping into the lobby, his authorial stride unmarred by the fact his boots are scorched, pantaloons torn, jacket smolders, and his bicorn appears to still be on fire

Eh? What’s all this then? Have I missed something?

Well then, Tom, it seems something has finally kept you in place long enough for me to find you. We must talk lad, I’ve made inquiries and have several lines for you in academies that should straighten you right up.

Eh? Marriages? Is it that season already? Oh dear me. Well, should it not be too late, I’ve fancied the cut of that Argyle fellow.

7 Likes

Though I never could stand his stockings. What sort of man makes such a show of wearing argyles when his name is Argyle? No, no, that’s a one-note joke, at best. Wouldn’t do.

You know though, it seems Thomas is always about with that squirrel, he seems to come from respectable family. Besides, who best to ascend a mizzen-mast than a squirrel?

Propose @Rockford_Julius

Venue 3
The seadside is where I ought to be!

Oh, won’t Tom be pleased to be “family” with one of his best little chums. It just wouldn’t do to see those two separated.

Now, shouldn’t wish to appear parsimonius to the others here…

Gift 500 Latinum bars Duchess Gummibuns @Gwarr
Yes, hopefully that will help those two set off right

Gift 100 Ancient Classical Manuscripts Heironymoose Farnsworth @Wisconsin_Platt

devo

Gift 100 A Nice Sunny Rock on Which to Bask Elizabeth Farnsworth @Hadley

11 Likes

Heir Primus Rackleton Harcourt Mordecai Erasmus Cornelius Brummell Branchwit Brummell, Space Moose

Legacy 2 “to be haut ton; the go, the mode, or pink of the mode; bang-up, the prime of life, or all prime; the thing, the dash, and a dasher; quite the Varment - a four-in-hand, a whip, a very jarvy; a swell, a diamond of the first water”

Hire Nanny

5 Likes

Orders for Turn 10 begin here.

3 Likes

Child - Hieronimoose Farnsworth, IV - Holographic Space Moose

Legacy 3 - Become a titan of business, founding a new paradigm in shipping - Universal Packet Shuttle. What can Moose move for you?

Hire Nanny.

Hire Scholar.

Fire Pierre. (Valet)

Wager 30 Gin Rag

7 Likes

Damerl, stood upon the bridge and stared out the forward viewfinder at the Weatherby Port. Industrious, mercantile, frivolous Weatherby. “Bah!” thought he. “I do so hate to go into debt. But 'ods bodkins, given these times and the seemingly faltering interest in preparing our forces I feel I cannot but do everything I can to equip our brave Dragoons! If the shipping lines hold I’ll be clear again next season. If not… well, perhaps the squirrel would have enough stashed away for he and the child at least to make do.” Such risks, and now with a family, too.

Child - Rocco Fulcrumpivot Capstanturnbuckle, Space Lobster-Squirrel cross, preferably with a big fluffy tail.

Purchase Commission Captain Space Dragoons

Legacy 4: Serve with distinction in the Weatherbean forces

Hire Nanny

8 Likes

A pre-scheduled payment arrives at the commission’s office. Despite his status as an alleged missing person, all the paperwork seems in order.

Promote from Lieutenant to Captain in Dragoons £2035

Hire: scholar.

Final Legacy:

Weatherby, indeed all of New Britannian society is heading for a precipice. The separation between classes is starker than even pre-Revolutionary Old France. Families find themselves ripped apart at the flip of a coin. While the TeaSeas enjoy glittering parties, SeaPeas collapse exhausted into beds they cannot even call their own. The common SeaPea sentient is getting desperate and finding themselves with nothing left to lose, even as the TeaSeas dance on, oblivious to reality. With no representation at the polls, no relief under the so-called justice system, they are finding themselves with one remaining option.

A change is gonna come. That much is inevitable. Far from fearing the threat of New Prussia, TBTB need the foreign aggressor. External threats are the only thing holding New Britannian society together. Things need to equalise, or there will be blood.

If someone can’t devise an alternative, and fast, the empire will crumble and be remembered not as an achievement, but a warning.

Preferably EDU: Synthesise a way that the Empire can shift to more equitable and sustainable system for all.

Alternatively, MIL: if it all goes to Hell, get as many people – especially those least capable of protecting themselves – as far away from the splash zone as possible.

The people interface with power in three ways: through elections, in the courts and with the guillotine. Fuck with the first two at your peril. – John Rogers.

10 Likes

Karekin sits at his usual “mobile office” in Leviathans, but today he is not alone. Two newly mintedTCs newly betrothed TC partners, Eighth and Johann Wentworth are with him.

“Today is a special day. The two newest [True Citizens] partners of our corporate body are here. What a moment! a time to recognize the increased informational energy you have generated and the disequilibrium structures this makes possible!”

The tall human says “Jules, before I met you, I would have thought that was the weirdest greeting imaginable. But as Shaper beliefs infuse my worldview, I see your greeting for the joyous compliment it is.”

The blue lobster adds, “So we’ve added another ‘politics of personality’ to the mix. Good thing the spreadsheet work around here is so trivial. Can we get on with this? I need to get back to the lab – I working on something special for Reginald.”

“and joyous nuptials to you as well, Eighth” Johann says smoothly.

“Okay, on to business. . Johann, what do you make of Ambassador Honeyvenom’s ‘gift’?”

Gift @David_Falkayn 30 An extra large jug of well-aged cloacal aioli, just like grandmother used to excrete, in gratitude for having rid us of that sketchy investment, whatever it was.

There’s more where that came from, and when the New Prussians get here, they’ll certainly smell where the Rothschild/Karekin/Falkayns are hiding.

"That that old space lizard intends to be an old space lizard. More importantly, She may no longer have full control of her forebrain anymore, as she let slip prematurely that the New Prussians are coming.’

"Good catch, Johann. I presume the New Prussians are as well informed as we are about the Militia’s readiness – though I doubt they were as efficient as Eighth.

Jules continues… "What I find even more discouraging is that the Weatherbean leadership is confused about basic principles. For example, the Weatherby Space Times misconstrued our family touchstone of “Self-interested cooperation is the basis for all success” as

“interested cooperation is the clear course forward”

Johann nods, “If that is the depth of their nuance, this is not going to go well for Weatherby”

Eighth’s sensor’s swing back to the conversation. “simple game theory approximations suggest that New Prussia is about to land a facer on Weatherby – and the Ambassador knows this and hopes to punish us for our ‘defection’ with the lagoderm ranch. We need to diversify off-world, post-haste.”

Johann raises an eyebrow and has the hint of a smirk as he makes eye contact with Jules.

Jules returns the smile ever so slightly, then looks to the lobster. “Excellent calculation, Eighth. What do you propose.”

Now that we are all True Citizens “With our elevated status, Jules’ diurnal presence in Weatherby system is unnecessary. Send him offworld to develop new possibilities. Ideally some place where the appearance of old space lizard will generate complexity for that three-chambered heart without our having to expend our own energy.”

Johann visibly brightens. “I couldn’t agree more, Eighth. You may yet be a credit to Shapers. Do you think you could keep the Sandfishery projects moving forward, and tend to the ‘day-to-day’ of the rest of the New Territories’ operations, while I manage affairs here in Weatherby proper?”

“Not only could I, I would prefer it that way. Let you deal with squishbrain fluff while I manage the spreadsheets that keep the operations running. That would also leave me more time for Reginald’s and my … joint chemical . I had not realized how much better endorphins are when shared.”

A large grin spreads across Jules’ face. “Excellent. Likewise, Johann will also need to take over our legal affairs, and tend to our expanding legacy. Johann, would you please see to the arrangements, as per our prior conclusions.”

“Prior conclusions!” exclaims Eighth. “Why, I only just came to these conclusions!”

Johann leans forward. “You’re learning fast, Eighth. But for now, continue to focus on your strengths. I am certain we’ll make a great team while Jules is off-world. Self-interested cooperation and all that”

Child Shmuel Wentworth Karekin, Space Chimera
Hire Nanny
Spend pluck legal defense
Legacy 6 “Seek a position in the royal court of Britannia Prime”

10 Likes

Child Peyote Goetia Aiwass Trigrammaton, Space LobCat
Legacy 2: Found a salon, the likes of which has never been seen in Weatherby

DO WHAT THOU WILT SHALL BE THE WHOLE OF THE LAW

Salon tonight at 8, all are invited. Punch and pie to be served! Nudity encouraged, but not mandatory.

14 Likes

Legacy 2 “A Bean Salon”

You know what all these “salons” have been missing? Beans. I will serve a crazy array of bean dishes that you would never dream of. I mean my party was such a hit, so why not have a party all the time? Like our Fashionable Apartment is the perfect place to host. And the things we will talk about. Like OMG, I’ve always wanted a trashy ladies book circle of my own. Oh and I suppose we can talk about other stuff, like the mayor, and spies, and getting shipped off to war, and how we’ll turn break our societies speciest, classist, backwards thinking!

And like glob, doesn’t this look delightful?

Dear Tom (@Tom_Ratchetcrank). Help me pick a name! I didn’t know this would be so globbing difficult. I’m like soooo excited.

Child LSP, a beautiful floating space lump
Hire Nanny
Rent Fashionable apartment

Like maybe LSP will suffice Tom? It’ll be our wonderful Lumpy Space Princess or Lumpy Space Prince!

8 Likes

“Not mandatory”? Sigh… what soft times this younger generation knows.

Still. Perhaps this old reptiloid can show them how we do it back at old home Herpeton VI.

11 Likes

That is perfect my dear, however do you come up with such things!

LSP, begat in a vat of Gummibuns and Ratchetcrank.

Er, we can keep working on the birth announcements.

10 Likes

But where should we leave our keys?

Oh, never mind, I see.

9 Likes

Yes @Donald_Petersen us reptiles know how to party. In fact the party is good that I’ve already lost my tail.

7 Likes

Good Duchess, thank you ever so much for the lovely gift! Caffeine via coffee bean has long been one of my favorite stimulants, as you’ve so astutely intuited. You always seem to know the right bean for the right situation – truly, a remarkable skill.

5 Likes

Ms. Farnsworth, thank you kindly for that delightful mechanical horse. It’s an astonishing display of craftsmanship! I shall be the envy of the boulevard, with a mount like that.

6 Likes

Oh my. Hieronymoose, your taste in literature is exquisite. These shall have a place of honor in my library, I assure you. I thank you humbly.

5 Likes