Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

After one week we are already up to iOS 13.2. And it still sucks.

5 Likes

Lovely. I’m glad to know every software company has let their QA depts go.

5 Likes

I’m fired? Oh wait, you mean the non-customer QA?

5 Likes

Good fucking God. My daughter gets so tired that she won’t sleep, then wanders the halls whining and inventing excuses to be up. Since it’s illegal to put a kid in a straight jacket or ties them to a bed, there’s nothing I can do but put her back again and again as she repeatedly wakes her brother.

And now she won’t want to get up in the morning and I’ll have to wrestle her into clothes to get her to school on time. I love being a mother. But it is very, very hard to enjoy my daughter.

Fuck tomorrow, I guess.

12 Likes

We are now up to iOS 13.1.2, and it almost works.

5 Likes

Today my BMI is 24.8

It’s hard to turn an obsession on and off

7 Likes

This was my daughter. She inherited my light sleeping. I invented some night time routines that helped her and wore me out.

Now she’s worked hard on her sleep maintenance and sleeps with a sound app and headphones because college.

10 Likes

We’ve been asked to take responsibility for a program that used to belong to another group. For the most part, this isn’t an issue; the actual conversion of the program to our use has been fairly simple.

The problems I have been running into have been as I’ve tried to test the program in the various lower environments, to make sure it will work when we put it into Production. And, more and more, it’s become plain that the group who developed this program hasn’t been testing their program, at all, at any time in the recent past. The connections which are supposed to allow this program to work in lower environments don’t exist.

This isn’t a conversion-related problem: we’re using the same servers, the same transactions, the same program names as the old group. We’re attaching exactly where they would have been attaching, in exactly the same way, and finding that the functionality that this program is supposed to use doesn’t exist at that attachment point. Theoretically, it does, but any testing would reveal that no, that functionality doesn’t actually work.

Generally, if nothing has changed, I’m fine with glossing over some testing. Insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result, after all. But, if you’re transferring something over to another group, and they’re going to have to test it in various environments, it would be nice if you at least make sure that it’s working properly in those environments before the conversion.

Ugh.

12 Likes

It looks like I’m going to have to go back to my job as a telephone interviewer. The HR manager sent me an email last week to see how I was doing.

I’m still looking for another job, closer to home. I’m hoping I can get on the day shift, though, going back to the old job, as I don’t feel like driving at night in the wintertime. I also don’t want to deal with the workers on the night shift. I got tired of over-30 adults not being able to comply with instructions from other over-30 adults.

ADDENDUM: Looks like I’m gonna have to take nights then transition to days. Okay, it’s not winter yet, so I can deal with that. I hope I make it to days before November (that’s when winter starts in MI, fuck the almanac).

11 Likes

Did they ever get complaints about it not working in the lower environments?

4 Likes

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

So I resigned last week from an organization that refused to protect me in their spaces from my harasser.

This morning they tried to use my content to promote their org on twitter. It feels like they’re trying to punish me for resigning. I dont like it.

12 Likes

And my car’s “check engine” light is on, and it’s starting to smell more fume-y now. GREATGREATGREAT.

I am seething with frustration now.

6 Likes

The check engine light could be from the exhaust leak (o2 sensors); the chain auto parts shops will generally scan the engine codes for you for free.

5 Likes

I’m taking it back to the shop where I had the exhaust work done. SIGH.

I’m sick of walking, you know?

5 Likes

Oh sorry, I missed that a shop had already worked on it. That sucks, and boo on them.

4 Likes

I got the car last Monday and the day after, the connection between the resonator and the pipe rusted out. It’s an 2004 Toyota Solara, a gift from a friend of a friend; and the Carfax printout doesn’t mention a new exhaust system being put on.

It’s okay, I probably put the car stuff either on the FuckThis or the Bleakness n Me threads.

5 Likes

Ahh the weekly-ish journey to the grocer’s to buy food to replace the exact same food that has gone off while sitting in the refrigerator.

9 Likes

That sounds so like the pain I’ve been dealing with in different terms. I banged my head so long and so hard over these error messages that were coming up through so many countless layers of abstractrion and indirection - where does our code even fit in there, what are we trying to achieve? It was all nonsense. Finally at long last got some sensible error messages and actually actionable failures that I could deal with and errors I could understand and work from. It’s been days though!

I felt so close to giving up.

We’re getting wayyy too fancy with our software people. Like to the point that those of us who do this all day every day don’t know what we’re doing or how to keep it from blowing up whatever you’re doing tomorrow. We’re trying, but we’re kinda building things we can’t even maintain.

Sometimes we think we know what we’re doing, but we don’t.

6 Likes

I don’t really have anything to add to this, but I felt like my single :heart: was insufficient for expressing how much I agree with this sentiment.

8 Likes