Stuff That Really 'Grinds My Gears...'

The Google Translators Kit, (which like all things Google, is going byebye) provides an initial quote, based on word count.

2 Likes

Stoopid marketing. I swear sometimes I want to strangle marketing people.

Back in college, there was a advertising jingle for a bank on the radio that went something like ā€œsomething something do you find love in a bank? I found plenty in mine.ā€

Finding love in a bank??? :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Well, decades later I finally saw a topper ā€“ an ad on a bus that said:

ā€œRevered. Passion. blah de blah some bankā€ Barf.

Right down there with Mr. Whipple masturbating with Charmin ā€œbath tissueā€ (itā€™s toilet paper, folks, not something you dry off after a bath, though theyā€™d love it if you wasted it that way).

9 Likes

You leave Mr. Whipple out of this!

8 Likes

How dare you etc.

6 Likes

It is said the sun will burn out in 4.6 billion years. They will finish construction on I-35 in the dark.

Fuck Austin Traffic.

At one point the GPS gave me so many ā€œRoute Recalculationā€ chimes, I thought the next thing it would say would be, ā€œYeah, nah, mate. Your guess is as good as mine.ā€

Edit - even the airport had road construction.

12 Likes

Fuck Chicago Weather.

Flight cancelled. I grabbed the one that leaves in 8 hours instead of the option that would have me flying for 6 hours today.

Time for a beer.

11 Likes

Berghoff?

BAD NEWS: I owe $165 for the ticket I got for my car accident in July (due 10/3/19), and $152 and some change to Comcast just to keep them from shutting down our service (due 9/30/19), and $121 and change for the water bill (although I can pay them less than that but not below a certain amount to avoid shut-off plus theyā€™ve not sent me a shut-off notice, but I want to avoid that, and itā€™s due 9/30/19).

GOOD NEWS: A friend stopped by with $200 for me (and some cannabis he grew).

EXPLANATION: Before he gave me that money, I was going to go to Comcast on Monday, the due date, and FINALLY report that my mom died as the service is in her name. I just never got around to following the procedure to do so; itā€™s not just a matter of going in and editing oneā€™s account on oneā€™s own. I was going to take back the cable box from downstairs, and bring my momā€™s death certificate with me to change the account to be mine; I was hoping maybe they could wipe out the $314 I owe them and start over with just poor-peopleā€™s internet ($9.95/month, allegedly, but you have to fit their requirements - which I do). But the unexpected gift changes things.

Itā€™s like a story problem ONLY ITā€™S REAL, and instead of getting a good grade for the correct solution, there is no solution that is correct enough to cover all the bases.

11 Likes

Austin-Bergstrom.

And now my flight is tomorrow at Noon Thirty.

What a waste of a day.

Just waiting on the hotel shuttleā€¦

5 Likes

If it were me, Iā€™d still try to get them to delete your momā€™s past due amount. Every bit helps.

6 Likes

I just paid the past due amount to stave them off - and to reduce the total, natch - until I can get there NOT on a Monday morning, lol.

5 Likes

After one week we are already up to iOS 13.2. And it still sucks.

5 Likes

Lovely. Iā€™m glad to know every software company has let their QA depts go.

5 Likes

Iā€™m fired? Oh wait, you mean the non-customer QA?

5 Likes

Good fucking God. My daughter gets so tired that she wonā€™t sleep, then wanders the halls whining and inventing excuses to be up. Since itā€™s illegal to put a kid in a straight jacket or ties them to a bed, thereā€™s nothing I can do but put her back again and again as she repeatedly wakes her brother.

And now she wonā€™t want to get up in the morning and Iā€™ll have to wrestle her into clothes to get her to school on time. I love being a mother. But it is very, very hard to enjoy my daughter.

Fuck tomorrow, I guess.

12 Likes

We are now up to iOS 13.1.2, and it almost works.

5 Likes

Today my BMI is 24.8

Itā€™s hard to turn an obsession on and off

7 Likes

This was my daughter. She inherited my light sleeping. I invented some night time routines that helped her and wore me out.

Now sheā€™s worked hard on her sleep maintenance and sleeps with a sound app and headphones because college.

10 Likes

Weā€™ve been asked to take responsibility for a program that used to belong to another group. For the most part, this isnā€™t an issue; the actual conversion of the program to our use has been fairly simple.

The problems I have been running into have been as Iā€™ve tried to test the program in the various lower environments, to make sure it will work when we put it into Production. And, more and more, itā€™s become plain that the group who developed this program hasnā€™t been testing their program, at all, at any time in the recent past. The connections which are supposed to allow this program to work in lower environments donā€™t exist.

This isnā€™t a conversion-related problem: weā€™re using the same servers, the same transactions, the same program names as the old group. Weā€™re attaching exactly where they would have been attaching, in exactly the same way, and finding that the functionality that this program is supposed to use doesnā€™t exist at that attachment point. Theoretically, it does, but any testing would reveal that no, that functionality doesnā€™t actually work.

Generally, if nothing has changed, Iā€™m fine with glossing over some testing. Insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different result, after all. But, if youā€™re transferring something over to another group, and theyā€™re going to have to test it in various environments, it would be nice if you at least make sure that itā€™s working properly in those environments before the conversion.

Ugh.

12 Likes

It looks like Iā€™m going to have to go back to my job as a telephone interviewer. The HR manager sent me an email last week to see how I was doing.

Iā€™m still looking for another job, closer to home. Iā€™m hoping I can get on the day shift, though, going back to the old job, as I donā€™t feel like driving at night in the wintertime. I also donā€™t want to deal with the workers on the night shift. I got tired of over-30 adults not being able to comply with instructions from other over-30 adults.

ADDENDUM: Looks like Iā€™m gonna have to take nights then transition to days. Okay, itā€™s not winter yet, so I can deal with that. I hope I make it to days before November (thatā€™s when winter starts in MI, fuck the almanac).

11 Likes