The Pets Thread

Yeah, cats at least are completely honest. Sometimes painfully so!

3 Likes

Yes, but sometimes my cats do lie. Like, Manny Pearl regularly tells me that he’s starving and desperately needs me to open a can of food for him because he can’t even remember the last time he had anything to eat. He’s doing it right now, as a matter of fact, not one hour from the last time he tried to pull this bullshit on me. He’s not starving, I promise.

But, other than that, he’s an honest dude.

Factcheck: TRUE!

4 Likes

That’s not lying - that’s part of being a cat. Trust me on this one.

3 Likes

yeah, i think of it like, from their perspective, that was AGES ago. SO LONG AGO.

4 Likes

OK, less outright lie and more like emotional manipulation multiplied by fast metabolism. I’ll give you that one.

4 Likes

Not just cats, of course…

Dog: I am starving.
Me: Actually, no. You aren’t starving. You get two very good meals a day. And treats. And Best Beloved fed you extra food while I was gone.
Dog: STARVING.
Me: I saw you get fed not four hours ago! You are not starving .
Dog: Pity me, a sad and tragic creature, for I can barely walk, I am so starving. WOE.
Me: I am now ignoring you.
Dog: STARVING.
Dog: Did you hear me? I am starving.

(from “I Has a Sweet Potato”, which I linked to …just last year? But it feels like so much longer!)

8 Likes

I miss Luke SO MUCH.

4 Likes

<Hugs.>

3 Likes

lost girl hug now

3 Likes

From 2007, when my son and I lived in an apartment. My brother took them originally, and after Luke died gave me these prints.

8 Likes

Cute!
I’m always amazed at how cats can unhinge their jaws and swallow a pig. :scream_cat:

2 Likes

The hail and rain we’ve gotten since I carved and placed Luke’s grave marker has taken their toll on the wood (well, it was just a silverware box lid), so I decided to fill in the carved parts with nail polish (Sinful brand; Copper Pot was used for the lettering, I Miss You (!) for the heart).

And that sunshine makes it look deceptively warm - there’s a cold wind out thar; my hands were shaking from cold more than anxiety/caffiene, LOL!

6 Likes

I was sitting on the couch, on my laptop, avoiding sleep, when I hear a sort of slap sound from the vivarium near me. I look over to find this:

Just hanging out, as you do…

7 Likes

I didn’t let them murder a birb that flew out of the chimney, so they’re comforting each other. On my grant proposal.

edit: wrong cutesy mispelling of bird.

11 Likes

Every once and a while I feel like reptilian pets need to be represented, so here is Petunia first overwhelming a mouse and then after positioning it correctly – head first, so the nape of the fur goes down smoothly instead of acting like a brake – starting its journey down the path to digestion.

Blurred, because I know it’s one of the most primal phobias for some people…

7 Likes

She really is a very sweet snek. It’s not her fault that the ONLY food a snake like her can eat is small rodents.

8 Likes

And very pretty, too!

My cats bring in an average of 3 field mice or voles a week, some dead, some living. The ones we can catch alive get another chance to run free and a mini lecture about avoiding cats. I’m significantly less distressed by rodent murder / rodent as food, than I used to be.

4 Likes

I love snakes!

3 Likes

Like, is there even Purina Snake Chow, right?

4 Likes

Does it wriggle?

2 Likes