The Pets Thread

Is he not scared of vacuum cleaners?

4 Likes

Ha! Back in his crankier days, I used to say “boy, he sucks,” jokingly of course.:lying_face: He’s mellowed a lot.

Speaking of cats and vacuum cleaners . . .

3 Likes

George likes to sit next to me, on a pillow i use because my shoulder is fucky. Then he really settles in if i put my arm around him. I think his previous life didn’t include many cuddles.

I tried to be stealthy and take the photo while he was still asleep but my hands aren’t quite large enough for one handed operation. Busted.

15 Likes

Awww, look at him. Glad you are giving him lots of petz and cuddlz.

7 Likes

Dubious purchase i want so bad

https://www.myzoostudio.com/pages/太空計畫

13 Likes

I couldn’t think of a better thread for this, so I’ll put it here. Video is not in English, but it’s pretty clear how the man and dog feel, no language required.

This is the explanation from I Can Haz Cheezburger:
A man in Tbilisi, Georgia, had lost his dog about three years ago and received a phone call from a shop owner to let him know that a dog which looks a lot like his was sleeping in front of her shop. He made the trip and as he approaches he is in disbelief, commenting that it really does look just like him.

14 Likes

aww. happy dog barks work in every language. : )

7 Likes

I cried when the doggo made that first tiny sound. It just sounded like desperate joy to me.

8 Likes

My dog started howling along

9 Likes

~~~~~~ WARNING: photo of snake eating a baby mouse ~~~~~~

@come_to_mumma and anyone else from the Baby It’s Cold Outside thread who might be interested, here is Petunia’s first feed in our home. It was supposed to be a live pinkie for the first time, to make sure she ate (that’s how they’re fed at the reptile place, so we were cautioned to not change EVERYTHING in the same week). However, I called the place 10 minutes after it opened to let them know I’d be coming in for a live pinkie, and they said there was someone waiting at the door when they opened up who bought all 12 of today’s batch, so they walked me through how to safely quick-thaw a frozen one so that she could still eat today and not have to wait tomorrow. Since she’s already shed, she really needs to eat ASAP to maintain her health and nutrition.

So, anyway, I tried to take a video, but it’s not really film-worthy. It’s a slow process, with only a few times when we could see active muscle spasms. Mostly, the pinkie just slide in very, very, very, very slowly until all of a sudden, there was like a little burp and her mouth was empty.

She was definitely very curious about her audience, which included a few of my daughter’s friends too. Even seemed happy immediately after she ate. She really seems to like her little world here.

Here are two photos, about halfway through and nearly finished (with a spoiler blur, because some people really don’t like looking at snakes):

10 Likes

Unleash the fury.

4 Likes

I chose vertical so the ball would be visible when I bounced it so try to contain your disappointment.

13 Likes

No disappointment here. Good catch Copper!

5 Likes

She’s under my legs now, gave her a pat from you.

6 Likes

Aw, thank you. You’re such a good girl Copper, yes you are!

6 Likes

Second feeding of Petunia went even better! She’s got the hang of how to pounce and readjust to get the little guy in head-first (not necessary with frozen-then-thawed prey, but crucial in real-world situations). There’s not a lot of Plan B options if you can’t get a snake in captivity to eat the one food they eat, so I’m pleased that she’s doing her very-definitely-not-vegan diet appropriately.

I’d share another photo, but I can imagine (based on the reactions of all my IRL friends) that most people here would not welcome it.

6 Likes

I’d never tell you not to post anything… but I’d say a spoiler blur would be enough for those of us who are a bit squeamish about such things. :wink:

I’m very glad you’re enjoying the new pet!

6 Likes

What a sweet puppers… 15/10, would pet!

5 Likes

No ToFu mice at whole foods?

6 Likes

Thanks!

6 Likes