Victory! 🌷💥🎆🎉😎 I'm a Rockstar!

I’m so sorry! That sucks, especially since you had planned this so far in advance.

5 Likes

This is a minor victory, but I’m still gonna count it, 'cuz I need some victories these days.

I was driving home last night and got pulled over for a blown tail light bulb. Fortunately, the nice policeman only gave me a warning.

The local auto parts store was open today, so in I go. Got the bulb and tried to change it in the parking lot. I managed that (with minor assistance from a kindly stranger)… but. There’s a small metal bracket that is supposed to hold the screw that keeps the taillight assembly in the frame. That bracket has a tendency to weld itself onto the screw, and if it’s not seated correctly, the assembly doesn’t want to stay in the frame. :rage:

My new friend and I managed to jam it back in enough to get me home. I grabbed some pliers to hold the bracket and my silicon spray (which I’d forgotten to throw in the trunk) to lubricate the metal. With a few minutes’ wrestling, I managed to unscrew and reseat the bracket. Problem solved!

I’m not sure if that deserves a victory cry, but it’s always nice when I can fix something on my car myself. And those stuck brackets can be a royal pain.

20 Likes

These days, every victory counts. That’s a good one. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.

12 Likes

9:15am.

I’ve gotten out of bed, showered, made breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausages, biscuits and gravy), washed all dishes, scrubbed down all cooking surfaces, cleaned the range top, swept the kitchen floor, and did laundry.

Depression can suck it. I’m ready to meet the world.

19 Likes

Awesome! I’m happy for you!

6 Likes

April 2016 I concocted a wild-haired scheme to get a bicycle and start using it to get me to local hikes, instead of driving there. I’d already been doing these hikes regularly, and I thought biking to the trailheads would be cleaner, greener, less carbon, more exercise.

I got the bike in June 2016 and figured operationalizing the plan would take me the whole summer (of 2016) but here it is a year and a half later. It turns out, even beyond the bike itself, my little plan has a great many moving parts which you don’t necessarily appreciate until you try to get it all in motion.

Regardless, as of yesterday, that plan is fully operational. Today I’m proudly sore, the good kind of sore that says you pushed the edges of your personal performance envelope and, with luck (and rest, and nutrition), expanded them. I’ve already been three times by bike with just a little hiking, but this time I did the whole hike too. Yes, it was as good as I’d hoped; it just took about 100 times more effort and study than I’d expected to get to where I can do it.

Five Minutes from Where the Road Ends and the Trail Begins

20 Likes

LINUX NERD EDITION:

Enlarged my swap partition and turned my /tmp directory into a multi-gig “tmpfs.”

Works fine. Large files go into swap. None of the terrible things one might imagine happen at all :smiley: even though I have very little physical RAM.

8 Likes

I printed a 4 x 6 photo on my printer!!!

(Only took me an hour to figure out how to load the paper and print from the app instead of a PDF)

13 Likes

Anyone who can get a #!!!//=%!!!???!!! printer to work is awesome by me. Or a fax machine, because no matter how much people say otherwise, those are still a thing.

13 Likes

Of course they’re still a thing. No one can get very far without having the fax of life.

13 Likes

Yeah, they are; medical records offices use them, and so do insurance companies.

7 Likes

Yarp…

7 Likes

Fax machines predate the Pony Express, yet they’re still being used now that we can send documents via email :confused:

And @CameronH1403: instant earworm, damn you both!

10 Likes

Baby update?

2 Likes

Was that for me? Still in there, feeling kicks regularly now. We’re having a boy this time, which is different.

I used my second trimester energy boost to assemble the last of my lab equipment and furniture today. Last time I really lost steam at about 7.5 months, so I’m trying to make these next six weeks count.

13 Likes

glad I could be of help…

5 Likes

For myself, my day doesn’t feel complete without someone cursing my name, so thank you both!

4 Likes

Brittany Simon used my question on her recent BDSM/polyamory/etc talk. It was a shorter talk and didn’t get as deep as some of them do, but it was still cool. I missed most of it because I was doing kiddos laundry.

Here’s my mail:

Hi Brittany!

I discovered your YouTube channel about a few weeks ago, and have been enjoying and finding interest in your videos there. Thank you for doing what you do! I think it’s a social service and the makings of a vital community.

So, here’s a question:
What do you think of navigating kink communities as a non-BDSM person? In my time looking for and going to events in my region, and being on Fet, I feel like to so many people kink means mainly activity in the BDSM/power-exchange sphere foremost. As an already fringe queer/autistic/communist person, it can feel a bit alienating, and I struggle a bit with deciding how to adapt to this.

I am not opposed to BDSM, I find it interesting in the abstract, and I encourage others to live it as they see fit. My scene is more medical play, sounding, electro, insertions, etc in various queer, geeky, swinging, and poly combinations. The straight world makes plain that my proclivities are kinky, yet I often don’t feel that they have much place in the real-world kink communities I have encountered, either.

What do you think/feel about this?

5 Likes

Glad everything is going well!!!

I used to teach prenatal yoga and met a few women who stayed vigorous throughout their whole pregnancies, but I know I really slowed down toward the end.

10 Likes

I just reached under my desk, USB drive loosely held twixt my thumb and fore finger, and blindly inserted it into a USB port on my workstation.

On. The. First. Attempt.

I feel like Luke when Ben put the blast shield down and he deflected the seeker’s shots.

15 Likes